Monday 5 March 2012

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” - John Green, The Fault In Our Stars

Oh my. Oh my oh my oh my.


I love this book.


Completely, utterly, irrevocably, love this book.


For those who have been living under a rock, The Fault In Our Stars is the story of Hazel Grace. Hazel Grace is a teenager with thyroid cancer, and the diagnosis has never been anything but terminal. I know, another kid with cancer book. But this is something different. Bear with me. Hazel meets cancer survivor Augustus Waters at a cancer support group located in the "Literal Heart of Jesus." (Haha, in joke. Read the book). He changes her world.


This book made me laugh, stunned me - John Green really can write the most beautiful sentences- and finally made me cry. It's the sort of book that makes you feel like a different person once finished than you were when you started it. Passages from it have stuck with me, to replay in my mind in a quiet moment. There wasn't a single point at which I thought there was something that didn't work for the novel. Not only that, but I'm embarrassed that it's taken me this long to read anything by John Green.


I did lend the book to a friend, and if he doesn't return it soon, I'm going to have to kill him. I want to read it again.


Today, I will depart with this quote:

“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

No comments:

Post a Comment